Friday 9 May 2008

Am I uncle eddies child ?

I really like my Uncle Eddie, although he is old now and rather contankerous, he is a diamond.

Although my dad has three sisters and a brother and I have lots of relatives on my crazy mothers side, Uncle Eddie is the only one that I bother about now.

As a young man, he introduced me to the world of motorsport, by letting me ride his Honda 3 wheeler and then later taught me the rudimentary basics of learning to drive offroad in a landrover. This was prior to me learning to drive on the road in a car. He was also a very diplomatic listener and when I was old enough to drive for myself, I would visit him at my lowest points and he would not pass judgement, nor criticise whether I was right or wrong. He did not take sides as my father did and I will always respect him for this. He also taught me to fly fish, but thats a side issue. I must remember to visit him soon, or at least phone him as Im not always good at keeping in touch.

However, back when I was a child though, we used to visit my uncle eddies, he stayed in Broxburn along with my grandparents.

My granny was a lovely woman, very kind and generous, but I was never close to him or my grandfather as my dad had been the blacksheep of the family. I realise now in later life that this was becuase he married my mother against all his family's wishes and he literally chose to disown them apart from visiting his folks once a week. Eddie was the only exception to this rule.

He kept an immaculate garden with a putting green in it and although he never once in my whole life gave me a birthday present, he gave me self respect and worth, he treated me as an adult form day 1 and I love him for it.

One day, my mother sits me down, she has been listening to the voices in the walls again.

She tells me that to protect me, that I am Uncle Eddies child.

I am young and confused.

I hold this burden close to my chest suffering with nobody to talk to about this for many years and despite all child like logic I have that my dad looks like me, I cant shake the thought.

I felt that I could not tell me father, he would not listen and take my mothers side if I ever complained about her to him.

I realised later of course that I am not uncle eddies child, its just all part of the twisted web she wove around me.

I tell me dad this many years later when I am a grown man, it upsets him greatly.

No comments: